At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
We are searching for a highly motivated and committed professional to take on the role of Laboratory Technician. In addition to duties as a laboratory technician, the candidate will have the opportunity to further their education by enrolling with Forth Valley College to complete a Modern Apprenticeship in Life Sciences.
We are looking for a detail orientated and highly organised individual to provide efficient laboratory support services and technical assistance within the Science team. The role will also involve support working closely to the Lab Technician and Lab Manager, maintenance of our Quality Management System, and completing Health and Safety duties, as well as day release to attend college.
What will I learn?
You will work towards a Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) Level 7 qualification in Laboratory and Associated Life Science and Related Science Industries. The Modern Apprenticeship is a 2-3 year programme in which you will complete several qualifications providing you with the skills and knowledge necessary to work in a laboratory environment and provide you with a pathway to completing further study such as an HND or Degree.
No previous experience in is required, all training is provided, and you will be supported in the workplace in all aspects of the role. You will be given full training on all aspects of the role.
You will work closely with the Lab Manager, Technician and the Diagnostics lab team. Your day-to-day duties will include:
• Balance educational studies while performing within the Technician role
• Perform assigned tasks and undertake any training as identified through objective setting
process to keep laboratories safe, effective, and compliant with the quality system
• Laboratory instrument maintenance and calibrations
• To maintain accurate quality management system records e.g., stock control, instrument
calibration and maintenance records
• Responsible for the ordering and receipt of lab consumables and reagents
• Arrange lab laundry for weekly collection
• Assist Lab Technician with upkeep of lab equipment management software
• Undertake pre-set tasks and able to identify and work towards undefined issues
• Assist Lab Manager and Technician with facilities and lab external engineer call outs
• Preparation of lab reagents
• Assist with Manual Handling tasks
• Assist the Lab Manager and Technician with Health & Safety duties
• Escalate any observations/deviations in daily lab functioning to Technician/Lab Manager where
• Use opportunities to suggest/make recommendations to lab support team on
improvements/changes to current processes for better efficiencies
• Demonstrates technical proficiency and attention to detail in all practical work
• Independently and collaboratively solve problems and develop solutions for own work area
• Assist Lab Technician with clinical sample handling, maintenance, and tracking
• Assist Lab Technician in lab support to scientists’ project work
These activities will take place at LifeArc Diagnostics lab in Edinburgh, where this post is based, but there will be opportunity for visits and to work with other teams at our Stevenage labs or London office as required. All travel expenses will be covered for additional travel and a laptop will be provided.
What qualification or qualities are required?
You’ll have a head start in this vacancy if you’ve completed a Foundation Apprenticeship in a related field. We’ll need you to provide evidence of your qualification and show you gained the relevant skills from your placement
Two Highers including Maths and a Science subject (ideally Biology or Chemistry) and four National 5 Awards including English or have completed relevant access course or an appropriate group of National Qualification units.
Applicants who do not meet these criteria but have relevant experience or alternative qualifications will be considered.
Competent user of Microsoft suite
Applicants who apply via the ‘Adopt an Apprentice’ scheme are also encouraged to apply