SCQF Level 7 HNC in Applied Bio-Science
SVQ Level 3 & core skills
24 – 36 months duration
depending on prior learning and experience
Apprentices under 20
£2,200 employer contribution:
Apprentices over 20
Modern Apprenticeship In Life Sciences (Scotland)
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team focusing on research, development or commercial manufacture of Advanced Therapies.
Modern Apprentices in Life Sciences carry out laboratory based investigations and scientific experimentation using established instrumentation techniques and a range of routine and specialised skills following well established principles associated with an organisation’s science and technology in Advanced Therapies. They work as part of a wider scientific team, which may include laboratory scientists and laboratory technicians, in settings where there is certainty and with limited ambiguity taking personal responsibility for decision making in routine predictable contexts.
Typical job roles may include: Laboratory Technician, Microbiology Support Scientist, Process Development Technologist, Laboratory Assistant, Technical Specialist, Quality Control Laboratory Assistant, Laboratory Analyst, Laboratory Research Assistant.
- Statistics for Science – practical use in the laboratory environment.
- Laboratory Skills.
- Cell Biology – theory and practical.
- Fundamental Chemistry.
- Applied Sciences.
- Biochemistry – optional module applicable for Life Sciences ATMP role.
- Biotechnology – optional module applicable for Life Sciences ATMP role.
- Microbiology – optional module applicable for Life Sciences ATMP role.
- DNA & Genetics – optional module applicable for Life Sciences ATMP role.
SVQ Level 3:
- Health and Safety within the workplace.
- Carry out scientific or technical testing operations.
- Quality compliance and the role of workplace regulations.
- Assess and communicate scientific or technical information to authorised personnel.
- Plan scientific or technical sampling and testing activities.
- Working in a team and supporting others.
- Carry out small scale processing, scientific investigations and sampling operations.
- Diagnose faults, repair and maintain scientific or technical equipment.
- Maintain and control stocks of all resources, equipment and consumables.
- Make presentations for scientific or technical activities.
- Technically there are no entry level requirements for this Modern Apprenticeship, however the employer may wish to set these to ensure quality of candidates.
- Typically good grade Standards and some Highers may be set as expected entry requirements, particularly in STEM related subjects.
- Apprentices without core skills will be supported and funded in development of these to the acceptable level.
- At the end of the apprenticeship apprentices will have achieved a HNC and SVQ Level 3 LATA.
- Following successful completion apprentices can progress on the HND, either full-time or part-time day release sponsored by the employer.
- Further degree level qualifications are available through part-time or full time routes following.
Training provider analysis
This is an exciting Modern Apprenticeship in Life Sciences designed at SCQF Level 7 and adapted for work in the Advanced Therapy area. Training provider analysis across Scotland revealed a number of progressive training providers with a focus on STEM apprenticeships and a history of working with Scottish industry, including Forth Valley College based in Falkirk and Edinburgh College.