The Associate scientist apprentice will perform routine Quality Control (QC) of Modified Vaccinia Ankara (MVA) and Chimpanzee adenoviral (ChAdOx) viral vector seed stocks generated by operators in the Early Development laboratories (EDL). The EDL are isolated laboratory suites designed to produce seed stocks for GMP manufacturing.
- Annual wage – £18,000.00
- Working week – 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday. Total hours per week: 37.0
- Expected duration – 36 Months
- Possible start date – 05 Sep 2022
- Closing date of advert – 2nd August 2022
- Apprenticeship level – Higher, Level 5 (Higher national Diploma)
- Reference number – VAC1000065014
- Positions – 1 available
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Identity testing of viral vectors,
- Quantification of viral vectors,
- Confirm protein expression from viral vectors by RT-PCR & western blotting,
- Work under GMP-like conditions, with appropriate training, documentation & attention to detail,
- Ensure lab activities comply with GMP-like standards, review & present,
- Order supplies, make reagents & maintain lab environment,
- Support tech transfer of processes to external organisations,
- Development & conduct lab meetings & give internal presentations
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Technician Scientist L5 apprenticeship Standards.
- FdSc Applied Bioscience qualification.
- Training through the University of Kent – distance learning. Apprentices are expected to complete one day study per week in paid working time. There will be two one week summer school’s to attend at the University of Kent Canterbury Campus.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Upon successful completion may be the opportunity to apply for full time roles within the organisation.