Programme: Technician Scientist (Level 5)
Training Provider: University of Kent
Expected duration: 3 years
Closing date for applications: 12 December 2021
Potential start date: 24 January 2022
The Process Sciences Apprentice will perform a wide range of activities associated with the manufacture biopharmaceutical Investigational Medicinal Products (IMPs) within the Development Laboratories and Production Facility at Pharmaron Biologics UK Ltd.
The Process Sciences department sits within the Biologics Development, Manufacturing and Control (BDM&C) group of Pharmaron Biologics Ltd. The Process Sciences group are responsible for small scale process development (PD), pilot plant, clinical manufacturing, and warehouse operations at the Liverpool site.
There is also a requirement to ensure all work is in accordance with regulatory requirements and Pharmaron Biologics’ Quality and HSE Policies and Procedures.
The Process Sciences Apprentice will gain experience of a wide range of disciplines that are essential to the successful operation of a pharmaceutical Development laboratory and Production facility. The Apprentice’s time will be split working between the laboratory and the Production facility but will also have the opportunity to work alongside and gain understanding of Quality Assurance (QA), Quality Control (QC), Validation and Analytical Sciences (AS).
It is essential for the Apprentice to have an understanding of how all these departments work together and interact to produce a compliant product that is safe for human use at the end.
Activities will include:
- Learning clean room behaviours, such as gowning and aseptic technique.
- Gaining an understanding of regulatory limits for compliance in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Routine operations (such as utility sampling, environmental monitoring cleaning and maintaining the facility) and also project based operations (performing manufacturing process steps, preparing, and completing manufacturing instruction documents).
- Support development activities and warehousing within the Process Sciences group
- Perform all activities in compliance with cGMP and Pharmaron Biologics’ quality systems.
- Understand and comply with HSE policies and procedures associated with the manufacturing process and working within the Production area.
- Carry out activities necessary to maintain a high standard of hygiene and housekeeping in the clean room areas.
- Gain competence in using autoclaves and in buffer and media manufacture.
- Complete batch related documentation in a timely and compliant manner including participation in the review of batch documentation to obtain QA sign-off.
- Learn how to raise, investigate and close-out non-conformances, planned deviations and change control requests.
- Learn how to author and review Standard Operation Procedures and other batch related documentation, as well as learning the importance of the role documentation has to play in the production
- of a compliant product.
- Communicate and work with other departments such as QC, Engineering, Validation and QA to ensure excellent customer service.
- Carry out validation work, such as Installation Qualification (IQ) and Operational Qualification (OQ), as required depending upon work demands.
- Participate in regulatory inspections as required.
- Maintain an excellent standard of work in the theoretical part of the apprenticeship.
- Engage in the learning process and effectively communicate any issues with your mentor and line manager.
- The role demands some physical activity which includes manual handling
Pharmaron’ s two recent acquisitions are paving the way for a new, globally integrated Cell and Gene Therapy (CGT) services platform, which marks an important milestone in the ongoing expansion of our biologics service capabilities.
In March 2021, Pharmaron announced its definitive agreement to acquire Allergan Biologics Limited in Liverpool, UK, from AbbVie and on April 30, the transaction was completed. Our Liverpool site is a flexible cGMP biomanufacturing facility with state-of-the-art capabilities that include process R&D, cGMP manufacturing and advanced analytics supporting a range of biologic products.
This MHRA accredited manufacturing site has developed and grown a solid foundation and world-class expertise in CGT product development, which will complement and synergize with the capabilities of Absorption Systems.
The addition of this platform enhances our fully integrated, end-to-end drug R&D service offerings, which fits into our global strategy. Adding an integrated CGT services platform allows us to better serve our partners’ needs in these exciting and emerging therapies.
Typically candidates will have grade C or above in at least five GCSE’s, including English, maths and a science subject and hold relevant level 3 qualifications providing the appropriate number of UCAS points for entry to a level 5 HE programme.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good numerical and IT Skills
- Excellent team player – ability to get along with colleagues and work as part of a team
- Problem solving skills
- Manual dexterity
- Personal Qualities
- High Attention to detail
- Flexible attitude to work – ability to adapt to changing demands
- Demonstrate a progressive attitude towards developing their knowledge and skills
- Drive, enthusiasm, and ambition with a can-do approach
- Ability to multitask
Training to be delivered
Level 5 Technician Scientist apprenticeship delivered by the University of Kent. The apprentice will work towards a foundation degree in Applied BioScience.
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, you will be eligible to apply for other positions within the business.
Things to consider
Please ensure that you currently live within commutable distance of Pharmaron
The individual will be working within a laboratory environment and must therefore adhere to site dress code procedures and personal hygiene standards during testing activities (e.g., correct use of PPE such as laboratory coats and glasses; and removal of all jewellery and make-up upon entry into controlled clean room areas).
The individual will be required to handle hazardous materials (e.g., chemicals, microorganisms) and so must adhere to the relevant procedures.