Level 6 (at end of programme), equivalent to Bachelor’s Degree (BSc Hons) in Bioscience & Digital Technology
£27,000 maximum funding cap available from Apprenticeship Levy
Laboratory Scientist with Digital Technology Level 6
An experience-driven degree programme uniquely designed to help employers who are leading bioscience, data science and statistical initiatives to satisfy their talent needs.
Laboratory Scientist apprentices have the opportunity to obtain a bachelor’s in science (BSc) honours degree incorporating, first and foremost, bioscience subjects and aligned applications for laboratory scientists, as well as, business acumen, quality & safety, statistics,
digital skills, data science, project management, and an extended hands-on research project.
A laboratory scientist applies specialist knowledge and broad scientific understanding to carry out a range of technical and scientific activities in their specialist discipline. They analyse, interpret and evaluate relevant scientific information, concepts and ideas and use these to develop subsequent experiments or investigations and to propose solutions to problems.
Typical job roles may include:
Laboratory Scientist, Data Scientist, Analytical Scientist, Data Analyst, R&D Scientist, Biostatistician, Molecular Biologist, Process Development Scientist, Formulation Scientist, Medicinal Chemist
Features of the programe:
- Real-world relevance and employer ROI
Increased speed to competency and speed to billable with embedded industry-recognised training and accelerated platform certifications.
- High-touch employer and learner support
As well as dedicated apprenticeship academics, an allocated apprenticeship advisor partners with you to deliver ongoing resources, consultation, and feedback.
- Flexible format
Programme design and delivery tailored to your goals and the needs of learners. Hybrid – online and face-to-face teaching.
Distance learning with in-person training 3 weeks/year in London
- Underlying scientific principles, principal theories, concepts and terminology
- Ways in which advanced science and technology is developed
- Theoretical basis for application of the science relevant to ATMPs
- Requirements for development and validation of analytical methods and instruments
- Statistical techniques, probability distributions, significance testing & confidence
- Independently implement new processes according to the literature, data mining
- Introduction to data science, data analytics and digital skills
By the end of the programme, apprentices will be able to:
- Identify and use the scientific approaches appropriate to ATMPs
- Appraise scientific experimentation, independently design & implement new process
- Support appraisal of scientific experimentation with numerical and statistical analysis
- Work autonomously to analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific data
- Comply with regulations including compliance with business rules pertaining to data
- Promote and ensure the application of quality standards & safe working practices
- Use creative thinking and problem solving techniques such as root cause analysis
- Communicates effectively to a scientific and non-scientific audience
- Takes account of the impact of work on others
- Responds positively to change management processes
- Takes responsibility for continuing personal and professional development
- Manages time effectively, being able to plan and complete work to schedule
- Works autonomously and interact effectively across teams
- Demonstrates reliability, integrity and respect for confidentiality
- Typically apprentices will hold Level 3 qualifications providing the appropriate number of UCAS points for HE entry as defined by individual employers/HE providers and will have completed A Levels/BTEC in at least one science-related subject.
- Apprentices without Level 2 English and Maths will need to achieve this level prior to endpoint assessment.
- For those with an education, health and care plan, English and Maths minimum requirement is Entry Level 3.
- At the end of this apprenticeship, apprentices will have achieved a BSc (Hons) degree in Bioscience and Digital Technology.
- Following successful completion of endpoint assessment, the apprentice will operate as a Laboratory Scientist
- The apprenticeship is aligned with professional registration at RSciTech/RSci with Science Council.
- Further apprenticeships and academic learning supporting roles at Level 7 for Research Scientist
Training provider analysis
This is an exciting scientist apprenticeship standard completed by the Life Sciences Trailblazer Employers in January 2018.
Training provider analysis across higher education revealed one University in England able to deliver Bioscience and Digital Technology using a blended learning approach, online classroom and face-to-face teaching 3 weeks/year in London.
Northeastern University co-design their curriculum with Subject Matter Experts from Industry and deliver through accelerated training.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com