Level 7 (at end of programme)
18 – 24 months duration
depending on prior experience / learning
£14,000 maximum funding cap
available from Apprenticeship Levy or co-investment
Senior Leader In Advanced Therapies
A leader within an organisation who has senior management responsibilities, formal governance and/or director responsibilities.
A leader is someone who has senior management responsibility, and this can include formal governance/director responsibilities. They are responsible for direction and vision, providing a clear sense of purpose and driving strategic intent. They take into account market trends and environmental influences, identifying longer-term opportunities and risks. Through inclusive leadership, they are responsible for developing ethical, innovative and supportive cultures with the ability to deliver results. They are a role model, with responsibility for those in senior positions/significant organisational budgets.
Occupational Profile: Professional strategic leaders in the private, public or third sector and all sizes of organisation, who lead, manage and direct organisations. Specific job roles may include: Senior Leader, Section Leader, Executive, Director, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Executive Officer, Chief Information Officer, senior military officer, HE Registrar and Head of Department/Faculty.
- Knowledge of organisational dynamics and how to build high performing teams.
- Understand large scale and organisational influencing & negotiation strategies.
- Know how to shape organisational vision, culture and values.
- Understand innovation, systems thinking and knowledge management.
- Knowledge of ethics & values based leadership; regulatory environment, H&S Knowledge.
- Understands financial strategies inc. scenarios, modelling and identifying trends.
- Use of horizon scanning to deliver performance strategies, undertaking research.
- Initiates and leads change, creates environment for creativity.
- Challenge strategies and operations in terms of ethics and corporate responsibility.
- Oversees financial strategies & management, allocation of resources and contracts.
- Uses personal presences to articulate and engage in operational strategies.
- Enables an open and high performance working environment.
- Manages complex relationships across multiple and diverse stakeholders.
- Has high level of self-awareness, emotional and social intelligence.
- Takes personal accountability aligned to clear values.
- Is confident and brave, willing to innovate, seeks new ideas & contingencies.
- Engaging with all – leads by example.
- Reflects on own performance and demonstrates professional standards.
- Individual employers will set the selection criteria for their Apprenticeships. At least 3 years previous management experience will be required.
- Apprentices without Level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level prior to endpoint assessment.
- For those with an education, health and care plan, the English and maths minimum requirement is entry Level 3.
- End qualification is a PG Diploma in Strategic Leadership or Management with the opportunity to top up to an MSc or MBA on completion of the apprenticeship, depending on the training provider (addition non-levy funded costs will apply)
- On completion, candidates can apply for Chartered Manager status with the Chartered Management Institute
Training provider analysis
This standard is used widely across multiple sectors to upskill senior leaders. Training provider analysis identified a number of potential organisations that deliver a Level 7 Senior Leadership apprenticeship. MMU and University of Exeter have been selected as they can deliver a high quality national programme and have been recommended by organisations in the life sciences sector.